Stephen F. Austin High School's Newspaper "The Maroon"

The Maroon

The Maroon

The Maroon

Annika Singh’s “Marionette”

Annika Singh’s Debut Self-Published Novel “Marionette”
Tagore Bose

Walking these halls in the heart of Austin, Texas, is Annika Singh, a junior here at Stephen F. Austin High School in the Academy for Classical Studies, who has stood out as a rising leader, literary, and academic star with the release of her debut self-published novel “Marionette”, published on October 15, 2023. 

On February 24, 2024, at the Antonio Catalan (AC) Hotel by Marriott Austin Hill Country, Annika Singh hosted a launch party for her novel amongst friends and family. At the launch party following its opening Annika Singh’s best friend Zoe Moreno said, “Annika has poured hundreds of hours, day and night into her novel, even skipping out on girl’s night from time to time. I’m so proud to see how much it has paid off.” Another attendee and friend of hers, Samantha “Sammi” Mello said, “I feel so incredibly lucky to celebrate Annika’s achievement while surrounded by many amazing individuals in a wonderful atmosphere.” Annika Singh’s father, Ranjeev Singh said, “Annika’s launch party was an inspirational and engaging event. The venue was great with both inside and outside space. Annika’s friends made the launch party a memorable event. It was great to not only hear from them but also to witness their positive energy.” Her mother, Arati Singh said, “Annika’s launch party was a culmination of three years of writing, editing, re-editing, imagination, tenacity, and patience. Watching her 30 best friends show up to celebrate this achievement with her was heart-warming. Today’s kids get a bad rap, but what I witnessed was kids showing up for each other. The best part was seeing her surrounded by friends who were genuinely excited to read the novel and doing ‘cool’ poses with it for social media. Reading and writing can be cool, so happy that in a world filled with negativity, Annika found a way to share her voice.” Annika Singh also had a few words to add following her friends and family’s touching words during the launch party, “I feel overwhelmingly grateful for my friends and family who took the time to show up. It almost feels unreal to say we sold 80 copies thanks to the love and support from all of you who came. Thank you.”

A multifaceted talent, Annika Singh journey showcases her diverse myriad of interests, showcased as she mixes romance, social commentary, and the arts into a touching story. Annika Singh, a passionate enthusiast of picture-perfect romance with a fascination for literature, boasts an outstanding array of [adj] accolades. Since early on Annika Singh has exhibited literary prowess, in elementary school she earned first in a Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) Kids’ writing competition, fast forward to high school, she was published by the Intercultural Development Research Association (IDRA) for an essay on teen mental health. In 2023, she was selected to participate in the panel discussion “Off the Shelf: Book Challenges, Bans and Promoting Inclusive Literature,” hosted by the American Association of School Librarians. It is within this subject of inclusive literature that Annika Singh weaves her story, [adj] mixing social advocacy with the romantic themes prevalent in “Marionette.” As just a junior in high school, Annika Singh’s list of (accolades/accomplishments) is nothing short of outstanding.

“Marionette” follows the journey of Connor Founders, a senior at Paup High School in Orlando, Florida, whose life takes an unanticipated turn after a chance encounter with Quinton Hansely, who owns a doll tied to Connor Founder’s very self. As the novel explores their paranormal connection, dramatic class differences, and challenges of young love, Annika Singh masterfully crafts a story that invites readers to ponder the complexities of surrendering control and embracing vulnerability.

Before pen to paper, “Marionette” traces back to the early days of quarantine during the coronavirus disease (COVID) pandemic, where Annika Singh (found/discovered) inspiration in her eighth-grade English teacher, Kevin Mullen’s story prompts at Clint Small Middle School (CSMS). Mullen’s visionary Story Prompts’ sparked the inception of what would evolve into Annika Singh’s debut self-published novel.

“Marionette”, a magical realism teen romance, far from any story of the ordinary, delving into the paranormal and exploring the intricacies of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer or questioning, intersex, asexual, and other (LGBTIQA+) relationships. The dedication to her artistry is evident in the three years it took from the Mullen’s prompts to the publication. Despite the challenges of the pandemic, Annika Singh took her writing to new heights, undergoing three complete edits to refine her story and take “Marionette” to its final form.

As “Marionette” stands ready for a grand entrance into the literary scene, Annika Singh’s accomplishment stands out as a testament to the (power) of creativity, dedication, and the timeless art of literature.