Stephen F. Austin High School's Newspaper "The Maroon"

The Maroon

The Maroon

The Maroon

Future Voices: High School Youth Take the Lead in Promoting Voting and Civic Engagement

The Stephen F. Austin High School Young Voters Club

In the 2022 election, only 23% of young people eligible to vote actually did so. Young voters have the opportunity to take action, sway elections, and truly make a difference in the world. That’s why organizations such as the Young Voters Club at Austin High have made it their mission to educate young people and encourage them to vote.

In this club, led by presidents Serena Ray and Sofia Dominguez, members talk about all things politics. From political parties to voting rallies in Austin, during weekly Monday meetings, many topics are discussed. Politics are the most influential part of society and therefore dictate many aspects of people’s lives. Voting is a valuable ability people have as it gives a person the capability to influence national decisions. “Voting is power, and voting promotes making change,” says Serena Ray. The power of voting is exponentially important which is why it is vital for young people to have a say. Young Voters Club can help keep students interested in politics and be involved in events occurring on a local and national level.

Even before the age of 18, teens have many opportunities to play a role in their political scene. The Young Voters Club is constantly working to provide engaging activities that encourage the younger voting demographic to use their voice in elections. Recently the club had an event where they put up posters about the Texas constitutional amendment ballot throughout the UT campus. This club’s mission is not just to raise voting rates among the younger generation but to educate people of all ages about politics and current events. Members of the club were also presented with the opportunity to volunteer on election day, allocating them with the ability to learn about the system in which the nation is built on. 

The efforts of the Young Voters Club provide the future of America with the information needed to make informed decisions concerning the country’s political stance. Serena and Sofia are excited to grow the club’s presence and continue impacting the community of Austin High. The school is fortunate to have such a unique and influential club that students can participate in and enjoy.