Stephen F. Austin High School's Newspaper "The Maroon"

The Maroon

The Maroon

The Maroon

Traffic Trouble

Cars parked illegally blocking right turn access to Cesar Chavez.

Austin High School is grappling with a pervasive and distressing traffic issue that demands an urgent resolution. The current situation forces students and teachers to endure lengthy delays, with wait times of up to 20 minutes to exit the campus. The root causes include negligence towards parking management, inadequate traffic direction, and the prevalence of vehicles occupying illegal spots, thereby impeding traffic flow. This has led to an increase in aggressive driving behaviors and on-campus collisions, particularly when merging onto Cesar Chavez to leave the school.

Stephen F. Austin High School’s traffic dilemma is both disruptive and persistent. Students find themselves dedicating a substantial portion of their day to navigating through the congested school traffic. The chaotic driving environment and the backlog of cars make it challenging for drivers to exit the school promptly. Some students resort to leaving early or even skipping classes altogether to avoid this disruptive scenario. The pressing question is how we can effectively address and resolve this traffic problem.

Efforts by AISD’s police to regulate traffic, such as encouraging parents to relocate their vehicles, have proven insufficient. Illegally parked cars persist as a significant hindrance to smooth traffic flow, even with these initiatives in place.

The adverse impact of traffic extends beyond students, affecting teachers who commute to and from work daily. Mr. Steele, a teacher at Austin High, describes the frustration of waiting in 20 to 25 minute traffic, making the end of the day an unpleasant experience. He notes the absence of enforcement of traffic laws on Stephen F. Austin Drive. Despite widespread complaints about the Austin High traffic, there is a perceived lack of proactive measures being taken.

Situated downtown, near Lake Austin and the Texas Rowing Center, the traffic situation is compounded by the convergence of students and the general public. Teachers resort to dismissing students early to beat the traffic, resulting in a scene where students rush to both the East and West lots to avoid the long lines.

The impact on students’ and teachers’ valuable time is significant, prompting a call for viable solutions. To address this critical issue, it is imperative to optimize traffic flow and reduce the time spent in vehicles. Strategies may include involving ISD officers in managing traffic, directing flow, and addressing parking concerns. Another effective tactic is releasing students in a staggered manner, floor by floor, to alleviate congestion during departures. To tackle illegal parking and improve communication, an alternative solution involves an assistant principal emailing Austin High parents with clear guidelines on permitted parking areas and providing a school map for reference. Additionally, expanding parking facilities can help alleviate overcrowded lots, discouraging illegal parking and traffic obstruction. By implementing these multifaceted solutions, it is plausible to significantly diminish traffic congestion at Austin High School.

In summary, the traffic issue at Austin High School is a substantial problem that consumes a considerable amount of time for both students and teachers. A comprehensive solution is imperative to ensure timely departures and prevent wasting valuable time in the daily exodus from the school premises.