The student news site of Stephen F. Austin High School

The Maroon News

Coach Bacak’s 600th Win

Junior pitcher Nick Clawson.

Junior pitcher Nick Clawson.

Elias Huerta

Elias Huerta

Junior pitcher Nick Clawson.

Elias Huerta, Sports Editor

Coming home Monday night felt like just another win for the Maroons baseball team, picking up a 12-2 victory over Akins at Burger. It was, but also head coach Glenn Bacak’s 600th career win in his 22 seasons coaching. Keeping momentum onto 601 after a 4-0 shutout over Lake Travis, only Bacak and two other regional coaches have registered more than 500 wins. While the accomplishment is a notable milestone, the team must continue to stay competitive and focus on reaching the postseason.

“We’ve got three district games left and anybody can beat anybody. We’ve got to take care of business and play well. We’ve lost five games before and all of them by one hit, so we need to get a good hit like we did last night and compete in the playoffs because those are going to be close games. Hopefully we can do what we want in the playoffs that we haven’t done in the regular season to turn the tables and win those close games,” Bacak said.

While the rest of the season approaches with expectations of playoff games to come, the ten seniors on the team are determined to end their last year in an impressive way. Many have reflected on their four years playing for coach Bacak and are honored to have come this far along with him on the road to 600. 22 of those wins came just from last year alone.

“It was an honor being a part of coach Bacak’s 600th win. He has made everyone on this team a better player, taught us to win or lose with class and a short term memory. He has taught us to grow as men both on and off the field,” senior Quinton Saucedo said.

Having such a successful past few seasons in playoff games up to the fifth round and a shot at the state championship game, Bacak is confident that the team will step up to the plate once again. With Lehman and Anderson left on the schedule, a three-game winning streak will definitely solidify the Maroons in the playoff equation.

“Right now, everything’s in our hands. We win and we keep playing and hopefully we get to play for a while. Last night we competed really well against Lake Travis and that gave us a chance to continue our winning streak,” Bacak said.

Sitting in 4th with an assurance to move up to 2nd place, there’s still plenty of room for the 15-5 team to continue their winning streak. Tonight, the Maroons face Lehman (8-16) at Lehman in their last conference game before Anderson.

• Coach Bacak’s 600th Win

Opinion

President Corrupts the Feminine Morale

• Coach Bacak’s 600th Win

Life & Arts

Discovering the World Through AGS

• Coach Bacak’s 600th Win

Entertainment

A Quick Look Inside “Star Catcher”

• Coach Bacak’s 600th Win

Life & Arts

Breaking Down Driver’s Ed

• Coach Bacak’s 600th Win

Life & Arts

Students Celebrate Diversity at Pride Parade

• Coach Bacak’s 600th Win

Opinion

Taco Truck Towed Away from Underclassmen

• Coach Bacak’s 600th Win

Showcase

Synchronized Dedication

• Coach Bacak’s 600th Win

Photo Gallery

Feelin’ Alive

• Coach Bacak’s 600th Win

Life & Arts

Flipping Out

• Coach Bacak’s 600th Win

Life & Arts

A Bird’s-Eye View

Coach Bacak’s 600th Win