Stephen F. Austin High School's Newspaper "The Maroon"

The Maroon

The Maroon

The Maroon

Legacy of Leadership: Saying Goodbye to Assistant Principal Elizabeth Jenkins

Elizabeth Jenkins has been an extraordinary part of the Stephen F. Austin High School community for many years. She has been an assistant principal and teacher in her time here, starting back in the 1980s. Sadly, Ms. Jenkins’ time at Stephen F. Austin High School is coming to a close this year. We met with Ms. Jenkins to ask for her reflection on her time here.

First, we asked what had been her favorite and most memorable moments and or times at Stephen F. Austin High School, and why. Ms. Jenkins said, “Oh man, my most favorite memory had to have been way back when. I’ve been here when our baseball team went to state, when we beat Westlake at football.”

We then asked what she loved most about Stephen F. Austin High School, and why. Ms. Jenkins replied, “The loyal forever feeling, you’re gonna find maroon pride pretty much everywhere you go.”

We asked about the most enjoyable event which she had participated in. Ms. Jenkins said, “I enjoyed AVID. I took a group of kids from freshman to senior year. My son played baseball and football, my daughter was a Red Jacket so those programs are dear to my heart. I was able to help start the Academy for Classical Studies.”

We asked if she could walk us through your journey here at Stephen F. Austin High School. Ms. Jenkins said, “Through my job, I had seven principles. I got hired for Austin High right out of college. At teacher orientation the guy next to me asked what school I was teaching at, I said Austin High, and he said you are never going to want to leave. Now thirty years later I’m retiring.”

We then asked if she had any words of advice for future Maroons. Ms. Jenkins said, “The best advice is to learn to balance your life, and take time for yourself.”

Finally, we asked what she would miss most about Stephen F. Austin High School. She replied, “Being in the halls, the kids, the staff, and just everything.”

We thank and congratulate Ms. Jenkins for all of her work, dedication, and time here at Stephen F. Austin High School. Thank you, Ms. Jenkins!