Stephen F. Austin High School's Newspaper "The Maroon"

The Maroon

The Maroon

The Maroon

A Mind Unmasked: Navigating Teen Mental Health

Student Mental Health
rawpixel.com

The school has officially started, and everyone’s calendars are getting extra crowded. But have you ever wondered how that hurts a person’s mental health? For 5 days a week, it’s more than likely for us to get tired and drowsy during the day. The Finals are right around the corner, and report cards are due the same week.

Between school, homework, extracurriculars, friends, and personal troubles, everyone is anxious, to say the least. Anxiety can be both a negative and positive thing in our day-to-day lives; It can make us more alert, motivate us to solve problems and finish tasks, and keep us attentive to any risks or decisions we make.

However, anxiety can have a negative effect too. It can cause high blood pressure, pain mentally or emotionally, and lots of unnecessary stress. All of this can distract students and prevent them from succeeding at school. Improving a student’s mental health can benefit the student by enhancing their lives both academically and emotionally.

So, how can Austin High students take care of themselves while also staying on top of their schoolwork?  Sophomore Claire Murphy says, “When I’m stressed I often listen to music, it helps me focus and get work done.” Similarly, sophomore Catherine Rodriguez says, “I enjoy drawing and painting because it helps me relax and relieve stress.” These are both examples of coping mechanisms,  which help people deal with anxiety, depression, or other similar issues. Everyone should have a healthy coping mechanism to distract themselves from stress.

What are some other ways to improve your mental health? The first step to improving is to acknowledge that you’re not okay. You can talk about your problems with someone you trust. Being able to communicate with someone and get their advice can help so much. Another idea is to start a hobby, like writing, baking, reading, or sewing. These hobbies cannot only distract you

from stress but can also help you find enjoyment in your day-to-day life.  Another important thing that can help is rest; make sure you get at least 8 hours of sleep. Rest is very important, it gives your mind a break. Getting enough rest every night improves your memory and lowers stress.

At the end of the day, mental health is an everyday thing and we all have our ways to solve them. It’s important to have or find someone to talk to and communicate with. We all deserve to be happy and live the life we want, and not have to worry about it.

Having a crisis? if you there is no one talk with you can always call 988.

Who should call 988?

It is for anyone experiencing any type of mental health-related distress.