Grades Bring Down Junior Varsity Team

Zayna Chouman

JV football get set for the handoff snap at the Anderson game. The JV football team lost 21 to 31.

Junior varsity coach Salvador Meza believes end of six weeks tests will be the downfall of the team, these students will have to work harder on their school work if they want to succeed in football. As the end of the first six weeks approaches, it is unclear how many players on the JV team won’t be able to continue play.

“Getting them to focus in school and in practice is going to be a big challenge,” Meza said.

Putting in enough effort on the field and in the classroom will be a challenge for some of the players, especially since the team has moved back to 6A this year.

“If they’re shooting for an 85 then they’ll definitely be able to pass our classes and be eligible to play,” Meza said.

Players have to maintain a 70 in all their classes to play to make sure they are prioritizing school over athletics. Coach Meza wants his football player to push themselves when it comes to their grades to ensure their academic success.

“Every week is a different challenge,” Meza said.

With the end of the first six weeks approaching the balance of sports and academics is a delicate one.

“Our student-athletes are gonna have to focus a little bit more with their school,” Meza said.

Students athletes need to learn the balance between their sports and academics in order to succeed in their passions.

“It’s not looking too great and not as good as they were last year because it’s just been harder this year.” JV football player William Brackmeyer said.

Brackmeyer believes chemistry has been the hardest course for the team and it has been an especially hard transition.

“Our student-athletes have to focus a little bit more with their schoolwork and aim higher not only in their grades but their work ethic,” Meza said.