Cruz to Resign

Kylie Baber-Gonzalez, Editor in Chief

Austin Independent School District Superintendent Paul Cruz announced in a letter to AISD staff that he is resigning to accept a position at The University of Texas at Austin. Cruz served as superintendent of AISD for six years and worked in the district for fourteen. Cruz will be returning to his alma mater as a professor in the College of Education’s Cooperative Superintendency Program. 

According to The Austin Chronicle, Cruz’s contract with AISD does not expire until Dec. 31, 2021. However, Cruz can resign before that date without the board’s approval if he plans to start at UT before then. 

“I love Austin ISD! Thank you for embracing my family, for educating my children, and for entrusting me with leading our strategic efforts. It has truly been an honor to serve as superintendent of Austin’s dynamic and high-performing school district,” Cruz said.

The first meeting of the AISD board of trustees to discuss Cruz and his transition happened on Feb. 24. According to an email sent out on behalf of the Board of Trustees, the search for a new superintendent will be a “transparent process,” and the board will be “sharing a preliminary timeline for the selection process with the community.” 

At the next board meeting, board members will discuss updates to the selection process.