E-Sports Convention Helps Students Show their Passion

Jakob Olson, Staff Writer

The eSports Club attended the annual 2020 Texas Computer Education and Association (TCEA) convention, at the request of Principal Taylor, to demonstrate the club’s skills and benefits to help provide an idea of what the club does and the competition that comes with eSports.
The club before this has already participated in many High School eSports League (HSEL) sponsored competitions. Some teams have made it to nationwide play-offs and been finalists in these competitions.

“It was really cool making the nationwide playoffs in HSEL,” junior Jake Orts said. “The experience with my teammates really made me realize how insane it would be to do this professionally.”

TCEA strives for better teaching and learning through technology. They have 20,000 members currently and are planning to host 7,000 people at the convention between Feb. 3 and Feb. 7 to show off many new technologies and companies.

“We feel that eSports gets a bad reputation because of all the violence that can happen in these video games,” TCEA communications specialist Andrew Roush said. “But there is so much more that comes with playing video games competitively with an organized team.”

They are planning to host not only an eSports demo but they are also bringing in world-renowned coaches from the eSports world to come and show their passion to educators.

“I was really excited to finally show teachers that the whole stereotypical ‘video games aren’t healthy for you’ is not true and that they can be beneficial for students,” sophomore Patrick Spillers said.

The club will be playing against other AISD schools such as Bowie and Anderson.

“We want to give educators a chance to see eSports teams in action/competition,” Roush said.

Last September, the idea of an “eSports” class went to the AISD board to be voted on, but before the eSports class could make it to a vote it was put aside due to other pressing matters. The admins and representative thought it wouldn’t benefit the school enough to justify itself.

“We want [the board members] to be comfortable around eSports,” Roush said.

TCEA wants to push past the apprehension behind violent video games and use them as a way to even help educate those who play them.

“I have been playing video games for a very long time and just recently joined eSports,” sophomore Matthew Freeman said. “Not only did it improve my education it also increased my chances at college because of how big eSports is getting, I even got scholarship opportunities.”