The Maroon

Pet Sematary Scares, but Doesn’t Live Up to Original

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo courtesy of Pet Sematary

Photo courtesy of Pet Sematary

Photo courtesy of Pet Sematary

Photo courtesy of Pet Sematary

Denisse Vargas, Staff Writer

Pet Sematary is the remake of the classic 1989 movie, based off of Stephen King’s novel, all going by the same name. It was a highly anticipated movie because of the popularity that the 1989 version gained and I couldn’t wait to see if it lived up to its predecessor. Unfortunately, I was left a bit underwhelmed.

The movie starts out by showing the Creed family (parents Louis and Rachel and their children Ellie and Gage) moving into a new house in a very rural town. While exploring a strange pet cemetery in the forest, young daughter Ellie meets their elderly neighbor Jud and her family befriends him. On Halloween, Louis and Jud discover that the family cat, Church, has died and decide to bury it at night. Jud leads Louis to a strange burial place and gives him specific instructions on how to bury it “in order to avoid Ellie being devastated”. Louis doesn’t understand why Jud gave him the instructions but it all becomes clear when he finds Church alive the next day, although he is now rugged and has a very violent demeanor towards the family. Confused as to how the cat resurrected, Louis questions Jud about it. He explains that he discovered the burial place after resurrecting his own dog when he was a child and apologizes for not telling him that the cat would come back with a much different attitude. Jud warns him not to be tempted to go back because whoever or whatever is resurrected will not come back the same. Sometime later, tragedy strikes the family at Ellie’s birthday party and leads to Louis making an impulsive decision, leaving them all in danger.

One of the main things that made the movie a little tedious for me to watch was the overuse of jump scares. While the movie is obviously supposed to be horror, I would’ve much rather had the creators focus on developing a creepy atmosphere than having a pointless jump scare for a small action.

Another part of the movie that I didn’t enjoy was how rushed the plot felt and how a lot of important backstory information was left out. The lack of backstory info on the burial ground’s powers and Jud’s knowledge of it made his decision to bury the cat there unexplainable, especially if he knew that it would come back in a negative way. It also would’ve been more interesting to know more about the burial site instead of just introducing it randomly. The plot felt a bit fast for me because of the transition from just having an evil cat to then being in a deadly situation.

However, I did enjoy how the storyline was  shifted to give it its own special twist, like the difference in the tragedy that occured in the movie vs the book. It was relieving to see that they didn’t try to make it exactly like the 1989 version and also didn’t miss the mark when adding new parts to the movie. The movie was still entertaining to watch and gave me a good scare.

All in all, I would recommend seeing Pet Sematary if you don’t care much about how it lives up to the original. It has a great plot and is definitely one of the scariest movies I’ve seen this year. I would rate it ⅗ Maroos.

• Pet Sematary Scares, but Doesn’t Live Up to Original

Entertainment

Southwest Theaters, Cheaper Option for Comfortable Movie Experience

Entertainment

Bumbleebee (2019) Captures the Original 90s Touch

Entertainment

Shazam is a Step in the Right Direction for DC

Entertainment

Searching is Suspenseful and Attention-Grabbing

Entertainment

Rabbit & Robot Offers Unique Take on the Future

Entertainment

Read Some Books and Grab Some Grub at the Cookbook Cafe

Entertainment

Red Dead Redemption 2 Lives up to Predecessor

Entertainment

Baked Bear Best Ice Cream Sandwiches in Town

Entertainment

The E-Sports Team Takes Gaming to the Next Level

Entertainment

Topsey Exotic Drive-In Authentic Safari Experience

The student news site of Stephen F. Austin High School