Tiana Gardner Joins the 1,000 Point Club

Senior+Tiana+Gardner+became+the+4th+student+in+the+last+25+years+to+score+1%2C000+points.+

Senior Tiana Gardner became the 4th student in the last 25 years to score 1,000 points.

Tiana Gardner scored 1,000 points in a basketball during her senior year, making her one of four students to accomplish this achievement at the school in the last 25 years.

“That was a really huge milestone for me and something I really worked hard for,” Gardner said.

Although she accomplished that milestone it wasn’t easy for her, there was a bumpy road achieving that goal.

“I tore my ACL junior year playing volleyball,” Gardner said.

However, this injury did not stop her and with the support of her family and friends, she overcame her injury. That injury did cut her high school sports career by one year, making the 1,000 points even more of an accomplishment for Gardner.

“I’ve had multiple injuries and it easier getting through it when you know you have someone there,“ Gardner said. “My parents motivative me, this showed in my passion for playing basketball and pushed me to work hard.”  

The motivation was helpful for her but she also put in more work in than just the regular scheduled practices.

“I work out multiple times a week outside of practice and I take what I do very seriously,” Gardner said.

Even with all the accomplishments, she has in basketball isn’t the only sport she has played in the past four years.

“I started playing basketball when I was 6 years old, before that I was playing 4 different sports but 6 was when I really settled in [with basketball],” Gardner said.

After high school and college, Gardner wants to go into Pre-Med and become a doctor.

“I have received scholarships. I’m extremely grateful for the opportunity these colleges give me,” Gardner said.

Head basketball coach Tricia Hughes believes that Gardner is a strong and competitive player. Gardener strives to be the best and this year she has improved on her rebounding and scoring skill, according to Hughes.

“She’s such a versatile player, she knows the game, and she can read what the other team will do offensively and be ready to defend it,” Hughes said.

Hughes believes she’s a tough player to guard, and being able to consistently make free throws pretty, shoot 3’s is pretty impressive.

“My childhood wasn’t surrounded by basketball but it was always apart of my families’ lives, my dad played in college and overseas,” Gardner said. “I feel what sets me apart from everyone else is my competitive nature which has gotten me this far and encourages me to keep pushing myself.”