The Maroon

Josephine Montminy Shows Off Her Award Winning Goat

Back to Article
Back to Article

Willa Roberts, Staff Writer

Junior Josephine Montminy has found a passion for raising animals, specifically one goat named Ferdinand that she trains and displays at state-wide livestock shows. Montminy has grown up around animals, leading her to discover her interest in showing and her desire to pursue a career in the environmental field.

“Currently I have two cats, one dog, a pig named Tony and a goat named Ferdinand, in the past we have had other goats, chickens, and a lamb,” Montminy said.

Each spring Montminy picks up her goat from a breeder in Dripping Springs and works on preparation up until January in order to be ready for showing season.

“I will prepare for the show which means I have to halter break them, getting them comfortable with a lead on them, and then teach them to how to walk with a chain on which is what is used in the show ring,” Montminy said. “One of the most important things that I have to work on is getting my goat to brace properly because this is what I am judged on in the ring.”

Montminy entered Ferdinand in the Travis County Youth Livestock show (TCYS), which was held at the Expo Center from Jan. 17-20.

“My show was Friday morning so I showed up at the barn at 7:30, early enough to feed my goat and make sure I had everything ready for the day. I had to wash him and hose him down so that his coat would be clean and shiny,” Montminy said.

During the times Montminy is not showing, she either works on preparation for her goat or she watches and cheers on her friends while they show.

“Once you enter the ring it is very important to keep your eyes on the judge the whole time because they are looking at how well you show your animal and how focused you are,” Montminy said. “They will ask questions like ‘what do you feed,’ ‘are you giving your animal any supplements’ or ‘how much does your animal weight’ and you have to be prepared to answer.”

All the goats entered in the show are broken up into classes by their weight, breed or purpose and there are typically 10-15 participants in each class. Shows last typically for 20 minutes and the top 6 participants will advance to auction.

“I placed 3rd in my class and went to auction a week later,” Montminy said. “They call it an ‘auction’ but you don’t give away your animal, you get given money to go towards scholarships to college or raising other animals for the next year.”

Montminy is a member of FFA (the Future Farmers of America), 4-H, and school sharing programs that allow her to explore her interest in agriculture and environmental studies during the school day.

“I learned about FFA and 4-H when I was taking agricultural classes at Lanier through the student sharing program, and I decided that livestock showing would be something I was interested in and I was curious to see what it would be like,” Montminy said.

Montminy has been showing since Freshman year, and this was her third show at the TCYS.

“Showing has directly impacted my life in multiple ways, by providing opportunities to make new connections and get scholarship money for college,” Montminy said.

Montminy’s interest in showing and caring for her animals has given her insight into what she wants to pursue in college and beyond. While she is leaving her options open, she knows she wants to major in the Environmental field with a focus on agriculture and sustainability.

“Being a member of the FFA/4-H community has given me many chances to find people who have the same interests as me as well as meeting people who will help me on the path to college and allow me to learn more and more about what I want to study,” Montminy said.

• Josephine Montminy Shows Off Her Award Winning Goat

Life & Arts

Alex McGahagin Talks Choosing the Right College

Life & Arts

Sherwood Tries New Teaching Methods After Trip to India

Life & Arts

Tiana Gardner Joins the 1,000 Point Club

Life & Arts

Counseling Staff is not One Size Fits All

Life & Arts

Lydia Heisel Takes a Closer Look at National Parks

Life & Arts

20 People per Minute Physically Abused in the U.S.

Life & Arts

Low Wages Lead Teachers to Second Jobs

Life & Arts

Phone Addictions Affect 50% of Teens

Life & Arts

Travel THAIme: AGS Seniors to Travel to Thailand

Life & Arts

Cooney Takes Over Debate, Model UN

The student news site of Stephen F. Austin High School