The Maroon

Cartoons Aren’t What They Used to Be

Photo courtesy of iSpot.tv

Photo courtesy of iSpot.tv

Jackson Grimes, Staff Writer

The years of good cartoons are almost over– if not already.

That is because there aren’t any good cartoons anymore.

Back in the early 2000s, TV channels had the best shows such as Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Fairly Odd Parents. I couldn’t wait to get home and watch them all. They all had amazing stories that weren’t awkward, boring, or annoying. Each episode is different and how they played out, including development of the characters is why it makes them such good shows. However, most of these shows have ended, were canceled, or are still running, but are not of the same quality.

It is obvious that Cartoon Network and Disney Channel were running out of ideas and ways to keep people entertained.They tried to keep the momentum alive with shows like Apple and Onion which is about a childlike apple and onion growing up in a big city and trying to fit in. This could be good as a live tv show but not as a cartoon, especially with characters that are food. Another is Billy Dilley’s Super Duper Subterranean Summer which is about a group of 7th graders (Billey, Zeke, and Marsha) who are in a different world at the earth’s core ,which sounds good in theory, but in actuality it just doesn’t work. Not to mention these shows have an odd and unappealing style to them that it doesn’t draw the eye or make you want to watch it.

There are still a few newer shows such as Steven Universe that has good ideas and creates a thoughtful plot that is fresh and new with well-formed characters such as Garnet, Pearl, steven, etc.

However, there is not a need to bring old shows back just so that you can draw lovers of the original show to something that doesn’t hold a candle to the first. Doing this could also ruin the original for others and completely destroy the love they had for the first in one fell swoop.

The student news site of Stephen F. Austin High School
Cartoons Aren’t What They Used to Be