The Maroon

Students from across the nation attend MUNSA

Katie Harwood, Staff Writer

Model United Nations took a delegation of 52 students to Model United Nations San Antonio from Jan. 9-11. MUNSA is the nation’s largest Model United Nations high school conference in the United States, held at Trinity University in San Antonio and is run by the students of the International School of America.

“It was really fun and taught me a lot about how Model UN runs in bigger settings,” sophomore Grace Borjja said.

Delegates come from all around the country and Mexico. The students that attended prepared for the conference before and over winter break. Students were placed in multiple rooms such as General Assembly, Nuclear Crisis, Historical Crisis, and United Nations Women.

“We brought back eight Awards with five of them being best delegate,” Model United Nations Sponsor Ralph Miller said.

“I enjoyed spending time outside of school with my peers,” Borjja said

After the long first day at MUNSA students relaxed and ate dinner before attending a dance held by the school of International School of America. The delegate dance was a time for the students to relax after a long day of debating with other students on topics such as human trafficking and Women’s rights.

“My favorite part of MUNSA was meeting new people and bonding with people at Austin High that I normally wouldn’t talk to,” sophomore Katherine Jones said.

The student news site of Stephen F. Austin High School