The Maroon

Flu Vaccine: Friend or Foe?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Flu Vaccine: Friend or Foe?

Both the CDC and FDA recommend flu shots for those 6 months or older and for people with compromised immune systems.

Robert Rodriguez, Staff Writer

If anyone at Austin High gets the flu, they put their friends at risk by being here and spreading their germs around. Your body’s protection from many (16) strains of the influenza virus highly outweigh the smallest amount of effort and time it takes to get the influenza vaccination. The human body takes about two weeks to gain immunity, and with flu season is quickly coming a vaccination should be your top priority.

Many Pharmacies such as HEB, Walgreens, and CVC make the process extremely simple and affordable. There will also soon be flu shots available campus to allow students to drop by and quickly get a free shot between classes. You can get your shot by getting your parents’ consent if you are under 18. You can start the consent process by getting a tab from the signs hanging all around campus. When infected with the influenza virus, you will pass it on to between two and six people before you are no longer contagious.

“One of the main issues/reasons of people not getting vaccinated is the ignorant arguments and debates that people propose on why not to get vaccinated,” junior Ashley Villareal said. “I know some people argue against the shot because they think that it will make them sick because they have never had it before. When it’s not, it is because they believe that the shot will make them sick all by itself because of all the preservatives in them.” Which is another common misconception according to most doctors, nurses and the CDC. “However, my viewpoints on it have changed slightly. In the past I was dead set against it for almost everyone except for those that were immunocompromised (people that have a weakened immune system) and still on the fence whether we should be giving it to our children,”  

Carmen Perez, Registered Nurse Practitioner said. “However,  I do not agree with giving it to young adults to around 50 years of age unless again if they are immunocompromised.” When you are immunocompromised you have trouble fighting off diseases.  “I get vaccinated because I was always taught that if you get the flu, you won’t suffer the full extent of the virus, but also we were all taught that if we regularly practiced sanitary actions such as coughing into our arms and washing our hands frequently then we would be okay too”, junior Zoe Young said.

• Flu Vaccine: Friend or Foe?

News

The Girls Outside Club Helps Expose Young Girls to Nature

• Flu Vaccine: Friend or Foe?

News

AGS Takes a Closer Look at Trash

• Flu Vaccine: Friend or Foe?

News

Taylor Orders Immediate Evacuation of School as Flood Waters Rise

• Flu Vaccine: Friend or Foe?

News

Gender-Nuetral Homecoming Updates Tradition

• Flu Vaccine: Friend or Foe?

News

Discovery Dome Planetarium Transforms Library

• Flu Vaccine: Friend or Foe?

News

Whipple Honored with Texas History Teacher of the Year Award

• Flu Vaccine: Friend or Foe?

News

Parking Meters to be Installed Around Austin High

• Flu Vaccine: Friend or Foe?

News

AISD Instates Clear-Bag Policy at Shared Athletic Events

• Flu Vaccine: Friend or Foe?

News

Student Voice Seeks Funding for Free Calculators

• Flu Vaccine: Friend or Foe?

News

Students Help Pass Paid Sick Leave

The student news site of Stephen F. Austin High School
Flu Vaccine: Friend or Foe?