The Maroon

KAHS Films Advance in UIL

Miranda Gershoni's

Miranda Gershoni's "Hacked"

Miranda Gershoni's "Hacked"

Cole Ratliff, Staff Writer

This year, K-AHS has submitted six films in UIL. Two have advanced to semifinals, “Marching Band” by Sam Tagle and Alex Clarke in the documentary category, and “Hacked” by Miranda Gershoni in the narrative category.

“We did a really good job planning everything out and working as a team, but once you get to the shoot it all comes down to how well you can communicate with everyone, that was our biggest problem,” said “Hacked” producer Miranda Gershoni.

“Hacked” was in production for about four months, starting in October of last year. Gershoni wrote and produced the short film, with Sam Tagle as director and editor, Cinematography by Ben Fremin and St. John Requejo, lighting by Ben Fremin, and sound and VFX by Roberto Manco-Stenz. The film even features an original soundtrack composed by Senior Joey Garvey and St. John Requejo.

“It feels really special to have both advance because these are the first two real movie projects that I’ve made. I really hope they make it to finals,” Sam Tagle said.

Production was a long process for both films, and the challenge of performing while also filming “Marching Band” proved to be an issue for Tagle. Still, he wished it was longer.

“I wish I had gotten someone to come film the competition we went to, because we ended up going to state this year. I don’t have any documentary footage at all which would have been really cool to add after it was released,” Tagle said.

The advancement of these two movies is no small feat, considering UIL accepted films from all over Texas. Made even more impressive by the fact that each Texas school was allowed to submit three films in each category to UIL, and two from Austin High have advanced to finals.

“‘Marching Band’ was one of only two documentaries to advance in AISD to the semifinals, and two of the four narratives from AISD to advance to semifinals are from Austin High,” said K-AHS teacher Sean Gallagher.

Gallagher has high hopes for the future of the program, and having 3 total films advance in UIL is a great accomplishments for his first full year in the program.

“They said there were many many many entries, and lots didn’t get in. But this is my first year doing this, so I’m learning myself as well.” Gallagher said

K-AHS isn’t done, either. Currently in production are music videos, and more screenings for future productions are anticipated. Keep an eye out for acting opportunities, and watch the narratives at vimeo.com/ahsmedia/videos .

• KAHS Films Advance in UIL

News

Student Voice Seeks Funding for Free Calculators

• KAHS Films Advance in UIL

News

Students Help Pass Paid Sick Leave

• KAHS Films Advance in UIL

News

Parents Gain Access to BLEND

• KAHS Films Advance in UIL

News

Winter Wonderbrains Helps Freshman with Finals

• KAHS Films Advance in UIL

News

Winter Concert Brings Holiday Tunes

• News

Cheer Team Hosts Clinic at WAYA

• KAHS Films Advance in UIL

News

$1 Billion Bond in Hands of Voters Tomorrow

• KAHS Films Advance in UIL

News

Academies Create Smaller Learning Environment for Freshmen

• KAHS Films Advance in UIL

News

Tutoring Center Undergoes Major Changes in 2017

• KAHS Films Advance in UIL

News

Barton Springs University

The student news site of Stephen F. Austin High School
KAHS Films Advance in UIL