The Maroon

Student Voice Seeks Funding for Free Calculators

Joslynn Sanchez, Staff Writer

The Student Voice committee of Student Council recently released a survey to hear the opinions of students regarding school provided calculators, and they had an overwhelming amount of participation. Student Voice is trying to use the survey’s results to get funding to provide free calculators to students for a school year, setting up a system similar to that of the chromebooks.

“Providing calculators to students is long overdue in my opinion,” senior Lauren Ward said. “Students deserve to have access to resources inside and outside the classroom, which is why I’m glad Student Voice chose to do this project.”

Calculators are usually only available to students in their math classrooms and the tutoring center, forcing students buy one for homework and SAT/ACT testing outside of school.

“It doesn’t make sense for teachers to make use do math homework, but not give us the ability to do it outside of school if we don’t have $150 to spend on a useful graphing calculator,” senior Abby Gonzalez said.

So far, 70% of students surveyed said they needed a calculator for homework or testing, but did not own one at that time. 93.1% of students surveyed agree that the school should provide students with graphing calculators to own for a school year. An overwhelming majority of students surveyed said they did not own a calculator because they are too expensive. A Ti-84 calculator, one of the most common calculators used in high school math classes, is currently priced at $112 on Amazon.

“This project is probably going to cost a lot of money, but I think with a combination of fundraising and donations, we can meet our goal [of providing calculators for students],” Student Voice member Dyamond Taylor said.

Funding will most likely have to come from donations or other resources in order for all students to be provided a calculator. Student Council hopes to see results of their calculator project beginning next school year so that at least some students are provided calculators.

“Hopefully next year we can see how much more successful students can be if they’re provided calculators,” Taylor said. “I think we’ll see good results.”

• Student Voice Seeks Funding for Free Calculators

News

Students Help Pass Paid Sick Leave

News

Parents Gain Access to BLEND

News

KAHS Films Advance in UIL

News

Winter Wonderbrains Helps Freshman with Finals

News

Winter Concert Brings Holiday Tunes

• News

Cheer Team Hosts Clinic at WAYA

News

$1 Billion Bond in Hands of Voters Tomorrow

News

Academies Create Smaller Learning Environment for Freshmen

News

Tutoring Center Undergoes Major Changes in 2017

News

Barton Springs University

The student news site of Stephen F. Austin High School