The Maroon

Parents Gain Access to BLEND

Tessa Lehman, Managing Editor

Parents, as of last month, are able to access their child’s BLEND account through an observational view, where they can see their child’s assignments, homework, due dates, and other functions of the system.

I think any time a parent can see what their student is doing in class, what assignments are due, and when tests are scheduled it is a good thing,” world history teacher Amy Simpson said. “When you get a parent email wondering what their student is missing or what make up work needs to be done, being able to send them to the BLEND is a valuable tool.”  

While the general consensus is that parents being able to access their child’s BLEND will benefit the students, it is unclear whether or not parents know they can utilize this new feature.

I absolutely think parents should have access to BLEND,” AP biology teacher Jennifer Giannou said. “I have not received feedback because I am not sure if parents know how to access BLEND or not.”

Parents can learn how to use BLEND, a learning management system built by Canvas, through the online BLEND parent tour.

“I have not heard from a single parent,” AP U.S. history teacher Cherry Whipple said. “I had a couple parents that couldn’t get on, and I gave them the help desk number. They went to the parent help desk and called and they never called back so I am assuming they got it fixed.”

One of the features of BLEND allows parents to contact the teacher directly.

“No one has really talked about the parents being on it,” Whipple said. “So I’m wondering if maybe it’s reducing the parent’s contact with teachers because now they can actually go on BLEND. So it’s giving parents more power to deal with problems at home.”

While parent access to BLEND is designed for parents to support student learning, teachers have not received any feedback from parents or students.

I have not received any feedback from parents or students on parent access to blend, but I think it is a good thing and I wish it had started in August,” Simpson said. “Blend has made my  job as a teacher much easier and I hope that students and parents find consistent use of blend will make keeping up in class more manageable.”

Tessa Lehman, Managing Editor

Hey, I’m Tessa. I am the managing editor of The Maroon and I have been on staff for four years. I am a Link Leader and a member of NHS. Reading and writing...

• Parents Gain Access to BLEND

News

AGS Takes a Closer Look at Trash

• Parents Gain Access to BLEND

News

Taylor Orders Immediate Evacuation of School as Flood Waters Rise

• Parents Gain Access to BLEND

News

Gender-Nuetral Homecoming Updates Tradition

• Parents Gain Access to BLEND

News

Discovery Dome Planetarium Transforms Library

• Parents Gain Access to BLEND

News

Whipple Honored with Texas History Teacher of the Year Award

• Parents Gain Access to BLEND

News

AISD Instates Clear-Bag Policy at Shared Athletic Events

• Parents Gain Access to BLEND

News

Student Voice Seeks Funding for Free Calculators

• Parents Gain Access to BLEND

News

Students Help Pass Paid Sick Leave

• Parents Gain Access to BLEND

News

KAHS Films Advance in UIL

• Parents Gain Access to BLEND

News

Winter Wonderbrains Helps Freshman with Finals

The student news site of Stephen F. Austin High School
Parents Gain Access to BLEND