Barton Springs University

Cancelled after first half due to rain.

The sky reflected the water’s dull gray as students from across austin flocked to one of the most popular pools in Austin. Only this time people didn’t only come to swim. They came to learn about what makes Austin’s aquifers tic.

The AP biology class, taught by Jennifer Giannou-Moore, the AP environmental science class taught by Deena Telly, and the Aquatic Science class taught by Ian Pearce went out to Barton Springs on what proved to be a less than sunny day.

Barton Springs University is an annual event put together to teach high school and college students about the importance of Texas springs and aquatic life. Speakers from around Texas come to each talk about their field of study and the impact the Austin community has on the water systems of Texas. During the introduction, Keynote speaker Tanya Streeter, a free diver who holds 10 world records, talked about her experience with water and her contribution to the film A Plastic Ocean.

Before ending prematurely, the event offered presentations from some of Austin’s top environmental experts. These specialist included Robin Schneider (Executive Director of Texas Campaign for the Environment), Jay Banner, Ph.D.( Director, UT Environmental Science Institute), Sara Heilman, (M.S., Austin Watershed Protection Department) and many more.

Each gave hour long talks about topics ranging from plastic in our water, to animals at risk because of habitat loss. The event was free for high school and college students and allowed free swimming for the day.

For lunch, a collection of vegetarian Tacodeli tacos were distributed for $5 a ticket. During lunch, the weather worsened causing the college table to pack up along with many of the swimmers.

All activities were cancelled at 2:30 after the rain continued to worsen making it too difficult to hold an outside event.