The student news site of Stephen F. Austin High School

The Maroon News

Filed under Opinion

Final Goodbye: Sadira Alvarado

I don’t remember what I thought when I first walked into 335 a couple of years ago. Probably that it was freezing. It still is, by the way. Every day that I walk into the classroom, it reminds me of Antarctica. However, I think that we were saved from freezing to death by the warm friendships we made along the way.

335 has brought some sense of comfort for me throughout my high school career and so have the people involved in Publications. I’ve met some of the best and funniest people in the publications room and I would not change it for the world.

Kyra and Anna have become some of the friends I value the most. It’s weird thinking that in a couple of months, Anna and I will be off at the same school while Kyra is a couple of thousand miles away in New York. I knew the entire year was leading up to this and I was hesitant at first to truly consider them my friends for fear of change but now, I’m happy for everyone going their own ways. Sure, I’ll miss everyone terribly but I am comforted by the fact that they are just a text message away.

I am also thankful for Salazar because she taught me the value of hard work and determination. She has been with me through some of the toughest times this past year but also some of the best times, and I don’t think I would have been successful without her by my side. I really value the relationship we’ve built this past year and I don’t know how I’ll manage without someone like her by my side when I become terrified of failure.

I’m scared of change and to have to start over. I’ve worked hard these past four years to leave my mark on the school and to have to move on, make new friends, and figure out what I’m going to do with my life is scary for me. Room 335 has been one of the only forms of stability throughout my high school career and I am hesitant to leave that behind. However, I have no doubt that next year’s staff and editors will do an amazing job at making sure The Maroon keeps on being successful.

This upcoming Fall I’ll be just an hour away from 335 furthering my journalism skills with bright hopes and dreams to someday steal Salazar’s job. But that’s in the far future, though, so don’t worry just yet.

Goodbye Austin High, thanks for all the memories and the staircases I won’t miss.

• Final Goodbye: Sadira Alvarado

News

Initiative Puts Chromebooks in Students Hands

• Final Goodbye: Sadira Alvarado

Opinion

President Corrupts the Feminine Morale

• Final Goodbye: Sadira Alvarado

Life & Arts

Discovering the World Through AGS

• Final Goodbye: Sadira Alvarado

Entertainment

A Quick Look Inside “Star Catcher”

• Final Goodbye: Sadira Alvarado

Life & Arts

Breaking Down Driver’s Ed

• Final Goodbye: Sadira Alvarado

Life & Arts

Students Celebrate Diversity at Pride Parade

• Final Goodbye: Sadira Alvarado

Opinion

Taco Truck Towed Away from Underclassmen

• Final Goodbye: Sadira Alvarado

Showcase

Synchronized Dedication

• Final Goodbye: Sadira Alvarado

Photo Gallery

Feelin’ Alive

• Final Goodbye: Sadira Alvarado

Life & Arts

Flipping Out

Final Goodbye: Sadira Alvarado