The student news site of Stephen F. Austin High School

The Maroon News

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Nine Student Athletes Commit to Their Future

Yesterday morning, nine senior athletes signed National Letters of Intent to play their chosen sport in college. Every year, high school seniors participate in National Signing Day, an event marking the commitment of student athletes from all across the country.

For each individual student, choosing a college or university is a process that involves considering what exactly that school has to offer them.

“I’m just really excited for what Fort Lewis has to offer me,” senior Meredith Curran said. “It’s a really good opportunity to show what I can do.”

National Signing Day represents a student athlete’s commitment to their sport. For senior football player Alex Phan, today marks the beginning of a career he hopes will bring him back to where he started.

“I hope to be a four year starter at Southwestern University, get a teaching degree, a coaching degree, and come back here to coach,” Phan said.

Senior Beau Kalbacher has committed to West Texas A&M to play football after determining it to be the best place to start his career.

“[I want to] play a full career, get on the field, have a very successful college career, and look to go from there,” Kalbacher said. “It was the best option for me and gave me the best opportunity to play and I really like the coaches.”

Senior Malcolm Harrison has committed to Coastal Bend Junior College to develop his skills in baseball and possibly prepare for a professional career.

“I hope to develop more and reach my full potential and get the most that I can out of baseball,” Harrison said.

Baseball coach Glenn Bacak emphasized the importance of the education a student athlete receives while playing their sport.

“It’s really good to go play a sport in college,” Bacak said. “But the education you get changes your life, that’s what’s big. I think that’s the main thing for all these kids right here, it’s going to change your life.”

Bacak also made sure to remind all of the athletes to thank those who have helped them get where they are today.

“I want you guys to remember that in the future, there’s [are] people behind you that got you there. Be grateful for them and don’t forget them,” Bacak said.

Senior Espy Reynolds will be attending Trinity Valley Community College to play softball.

• Nine Student Athletes Commit to Their Future

Opinion

President Corrupts the Feminine Morale

Life & Arts

Discovering the World Through AGS

Entertainment

A Quick Look Inside “Star Catcher”

Life & Arts

Breaking Down Driver’s Ed

Life & Arts

Students Celebrate Diversity at Pride Parade

Opinion

Taco Truck Towed Away from Underclassmen

Showcase

Synchronized Dedication

Photo Gallery

Feelin’ Alive

Life & Arts

Flipping Out

Life & Arts

A Bird’s-Eye View