A Pro Hits the Volleyball Courts

Senior Anna Carlson has put in a tremendous amount of effort into the volleyball program all four years of her high school career, effort that has resulted in her making varsity all four years. Carlson reflects back on her freshman experience and focuses on the benefits it brought to her as a player and student now.

“It is a pretty cool feeling. Freshman year, my first game on varsity, I can remember being absolutely terrified, but it was so cool being able to play with girls three years older than me,” Carlson said. “And now all the girls on the team are some of my best friends, so it’s so much fun.”

Carlson remembers being the youngest on the team as a somewhat frightening experience, especially since the standards for being on varsity are already high. 

“My first season of varsity volleyball was very nerve wrecking,” Carlson said. “I think I said five words the entire season and every practice and game was really fun, but also very terrifying.”

To Carlson, it is very important to have a special routine before each game with the team, and it helps players feel comfortable on the court and do the best that they can do.

“There isn’t anything super specific that I do personally, but the team sings the fight song before each game, and that helps to get us motivated,” Carlson said.

Throughout the four years that Carlson has played varsity volleyball, there is one year in particular that sticks out above the others.

“My sophomore season is the most significant to me,” Carlson said. “There were several older girls on the team that I was really close with and who I looked up to, and there were three other sophomores on the team that are now some of my really close friends.”

After years on the team, Carlson has developed an understanding of what positions she enjoys the most on the court.

“I have played outside hitter for my whole volleyball career, so I enjoy being able to hit front row as well as playing defense back row,” Carlson said.

There are many significant memories that stick out to Carlson from her four years of playing.  

“I think my favorite memory of volleyball was winning this year against Anderson at home,” Carlson said. “It was the first game we had everyone back from injuries, and we had so much fun playing with everyone back together.”

While the 2015-16 volleyball season will soon be coming to an end, Carlton continues to work hard and finish off her last season with the same dedication that she started with.