Students Donate Blood for a Good Cause

Lily Harris
Senior Star Villafuerte donates blood for the National Honor Society’s annual Blood Drive.

Many students participated in the blood drive, and donated their blood to the community. The goal for this year created by the National Honor Society was 32 units of blood donated, and the school surpassed this goal, with 39.

Any student age 17 and older was able to participate in donating. Eligible students selected a time and date.

“The students pick a time slot, and when the day comes, an NHS student will come to their class and bring them out there,” NHS director Jordan Attra said.

The NHS students guided the selected students to the blood bus located in the senior parking lot.

“Signing up for the blood drive was really easy,” senior Audrey Ashburn said. “I was able to choose a time that worked with my schedule and coordinate with my friends.”

Side effects of donating blood include dizziness, lightheadedness, or the inability to stand up. However, the side effects are temporary, and a lot of the time not present. In most cases the complete process takes around thirty minutes and students are able to return back to class promptly.

“After donating blood it was great feeling, I didn’t feel nausea or anything,” senior Jair Aguirre said. “It felt good because with so little effort I was able to help people in need, and it’s putting my blood to great use.”

Attra agrees the blood drive is an efficient way of giving back.

“I think it’s a really cool way to give back to the community, and this is a need that does not go to waste,” Attra said.

If students missed their opportunity this year for donation, the blood drive will be back again next year.