The student news site of Stephen F. Austin High School

The Maroon News

Welcoming Our Newest Maroon

Principal Amy Taylor gives an inspiring speech about what it means to be a Maroon to prospective freshmen during Link Crew's summer Maroon Round-Up.

Sadira Alvarado

Sadira Alvarado

Natalie Bennett, Life & Arts Editor

After months of screening and interviewing, the Austin Independent School District has appointed Amy Taylor as Austin High School’s new principal.  Having spent seven years as the principal at Small Middle School, Amy Taylor has not only gained experience in leading a school, but learned how to promote excellence and well-roundedness within one.

“She’s done a stellar job at Small Middle School.  They just got nationally recognized for their programming within the last year,” Gina Hinojosa, President of the AISD Board of Trustees said.  “I was there and I thought ‘Wow, every middle school should be like this.’  She brings with her that passion and understanding, so I think that this was a logical next step for her.”  

Though she hopes to implement some of the same 21st century learning principles of self-directed thinking by students that made Small Middle School such a success, Taylor plans to spend the first year figuring out how to meet the needs of the teachers and students.

“My top priority is building relationships with the students, staff, parents, and the community,” Taylor said.  “Although I am passionate about 21st century learning environments and look forward to working collaboratively with all stakeholders to develop state-of-the art teaching and learning environments focused on student-directed learning, I will spend my time during the first year getting to know what makes AHS so great.  My long-term plan as principal of AHS is to work with all components of our community to provide an educational experience which caters to the needs of today and prepares students for the needs of tomorrow.”

In order to immerse herself in the unique culture that makes Austin High “Loyal Forever”, Taylor plans to learn about the students and teachers that walk the halls.

“I am looking forward to getting to know the students and asking them what they want for their education.  My job as the principal is to support every aspect of working with students so that they have every opportunity to graduate ready for college, career, and life,” Taylor said.  “I am also looking forward to seeing student work and performances. The programs at AHS are outstanding!”

Because Taylor holds the school’s programs in high regard, assisting the teachers in facilitating them is one of her priorities.

“I got a really good vibe that she’ll be somebody who listens to the needs of the teachers and then figures out avenues to help them get the things that they need to make their ideas work,” English teacher, Stacy Webster said.  “I think it’s a really tough job, but she seems really positive.  I hope she’s successful, because then we’ll all be successful.”

• Welcoming Our Newest Maroon

Opinion

President Corrupts the Feminine Morale

• Welcoming Our Newest Maroon

Life & Arts

Discovering the World Through AGS

• Welcoming Our Newest Maroon

Entertainment

A Quick Look Inside “Star Catcher”

• Welcoming Our Newest Maroon

Life & Arts

Breaking Down Driver’s Ed

• Welcoming Our Newest Maroon

Life & Arts

Students Celebrate Diversity at Pride Parade

• Welcoming Our Newest Maroon

Opinion

Taco Truck Towed Away from Underclassmen

• Welcoming Our Newest Maroon

Showcase

Synchronized Dedication

• Welcoming Our Newest Maroon

Photo Gallery

Feelin’ Alive

• Welcoming Our Newest Maroon

Life & Arts

Flipping Out

• Welcoming Our Newest Maroon

Life & Arts

A Bird’s-Eye View

Welcoming Our Newest Maroon